Child Support

There is nothing simple about the divorce process, but when children are involved it becomes even more difficult. After child custody is decided, the amount of child support must be calculated. Once a court determines who will pay child support, the noncustodial parent is then legally obligated to pay this amount regularly and in full. If you are experiencing any troubles with child support, contact the Law Offices of Theodore H. Enfield, P.A.

Child Support in Florida

The job of the Florida court is to determine how much parents would have spent on their child if they were living together based on their average incomes. The total is then split in half. Courts use Florida Statute 61.30 to calculate the child support, which can then be adjusted by 5 percent above or below the guidelines depending on the particulars of the case.

What Happens if You Don’t Pay the Support the Court Orders?

If your ex-spouse is refusing to pay child support, you can contact a family lawyer in Boca Raton, FL, in order to file a motion for civil contempt. This states that even though your ex-spouse has a child support order in place, they are behind on payments. In order to make your claim valid you will need to prove you have a child support order that has been signed by a judge, the other parent has the ability to make their payments and that they are not making them. The judge will then choose whether or not to hold your noncustodial parent in contempt of court until they make their payments or they may even be forced to spend time in jail.

What to Do if Your Ex-Spouse Does Not Pay?

If you are behind on your payments, it is crucial that you contact a Boca Raton attorney as quickly as possible. Whether you are unable to make your payments or perhaps you now have physical custody of your child, you must keep the courts informed of any changes or you will face serious consequences. A judge can fine you, revoke your driver’s license, take money directly from your paycheck through your employer, or your vehicle could be booted.

What to Do if You Suspect the Funds are Being Misused?

Child support funds are used for a wide variety of costs such as food, shelter, clothing, health insurance, school fees, entertainment, childcare and transportation. The parent who has physical custody of the child is expected to provide for their child properly and to keep their best interest in mind. Therefore, they are not required to provide receipts or prove how they are spending the child support payments. If you suspect that your spouse is misusing child support payments, such as personal vacations or personal accessories, you will need to document everything you can. Write down any purchases you have knowledge of and how you learned about them. These records alone will not hold up in court, but you can hand these over to an attorney. As a child support lawyer, Theodore Enfield will inform you about what proof you will need, help you prove that funds are being misused and find out if your child is being neglected.

For More Information on Child Support,
Read Our Child Support FAQs

How a Boca Raton Lawyer Can Help

If you need help establishing child support payments, are having troubles paying them or are not receiving payments from your ex-spouse, you will need a Boca Raton divorce lawyer. Theodore Enfield and his team will work hard to represent you. Contact us today for a free consultation and to learn how we can help you.

Child Support FAQs

The divorce process becomes more difficult when children are involved. Allow the Law Offices of Theodore Enfield, P.A. to answer your concerns pertaining to Florida child support.

Ratings and Reviews